John’s civil litigation practice includes construction defect, product liability, personal injury defense, and subrogation. He has worked on and tried a broad array of cases, ranging from personal injury and automobile accidents to multi-party, multi-million dollar construction defect claims, and from boundary disputes to product claims.
John is valued for his friendly and approachable style of communication, which often sets matter constituents at ease and results in more effective depositions and negotiation. At any given time, John is involved in managing hundreds of claims ranging from thousands to millions of dollars at stake. He is particularly effective in conducting investigations and has demonstrated time and again his ability to discern the facts that are important and helpful to arguing his client’s position.
Clients and colleagues alike appreciate that John is the consummate team player who is able to maximize individual strengths while ensuring the team remains a cohesive unit when serving clients. John is known for navigating beyond friction and crisis by holding his cases and team together to realize an optimal outcome.
John practices in the states of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. He joined the firm as a legal clerk in 1994 and became a Principal in 2007.
- Lewis & Clark Northwestern School of Law, J.D., 1997
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., Psychology, 1993
- Member, Oregon State Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Idaho State Bar Association
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Admitted, United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® recently revealed their 2021 “Best Law Firms” rankings. We’re pleased to share that MacMillan, Scholz & Marks earned a Tier 2 designation in the Portland, Oregon area for both construction litigation and commercial...
Five of our shareholders are named to the Best Lawyers in America, list.